Brief BiographySimon Murgatroyd has been Alan Ayckbourn's Archivist since 2003, having launched the playwright's official website in 2002 as a result of research for his MA into the playwright and his plays. Originally a journalist for the Scarborough Evening News, Simon has been writing professionally since 1992 and has written material for the majority of Ayckbourn world premieres and West End productions since 2006. His book, Unseen Ayckbourn, was first published in 2009 and was updated in 2022 with a wealth of new material looking at the playwright's unpublished, unwritten and withdrawn works over the past six decades. He has also contributed to several books about the playwright.
His main role is Alan Ayckbourn's Archivist, responsible for maintaining the playwright's archive and his official website. Simon deals with research enquiries from around the world pertaining to the playwright, ranging from the BBC to students studying Alan Ayckbourn's plays. Since 2020, he has also been creating original multimedia content with videos and podcasts looking into the playwright's career and plays.
He is also frequently asked to give talks on the playwright and has organised a number of events and exhibitions relating to the playwright and his plays. He is based in Scarborough and works from the playwright's home in the seaside resort's old town.
Curriculm VitaeThis is a brief CV encompassing my professional life and career
- 2003 - present day: Alan Ayckbourn's Archivist & Media Administrator
- 2002 - present: Alan Ayckbourn's official website administrator, curator & principal contributor to www.alanayckbourn.net
- 1992 - present: Professional writer
- 2022: Launched www.absurdpersonsingular.com to mark my discovery of the lost Absurd Person Singular original manuscript.
- 2003 - 2022: Archivist for The Bob Watson Archive at the SJT
- 2016 - 2022: Consultant & copywriter for the SJT
- 2022: Author of Unseen Ayckbourn - 2022 Edition
- 2022: Launched the Ayckbourn YouTube Channel & Alan Ayckbourn Podcasts channels
- 2016 - 2019: Patron of Dick & Lottie Theatre Company, Huddersfield
- 2016 - 2019: Assistant co-ordinator for the Inner Circle events at the SJT
- 2013 - 2016: Website administrator for the Animated Objects' Orpheus the Mariner and Song Of The Leviathan events
- 2011 - 2016: Co-editor and principal contributor to the SJT Circular magazine
- 2010 - 2011: Ayckbourn Weekend administrator
- 2001 - 2006: Ayckbourn And The Round administrator
- 1999 - 2005: Deputy box office manager at the SJT
- 1992 - 1999: Arts & entertainments writer & reporter at the Scarborough Evening News
- MA in Theatre & Contemporary Practice (University Of Hull)
- BA (hons) in Dance and Theatre (University Of Buckingham)