Frequently Asked Questions
This page answers some of the questions I'm most frequently asked about my career.
○ Do you actually work for Sir Alan Ayckbourn? I am directly employed by Sir Alan and my office is based in his home in the old town in Scarborough. I am in direct contact with the playwright and frequently meet with him.
○ How long have you been Sir Alan's Archivist? Sir Alan began my employment in 2005, although I had been working on his official website since 2001.
○ What does your role as Archivist involve? For a more detailed explanation, visit the Archivist pages, but - briefly - I maintain and organise the playwright's personal archive & the Ayckbourn digital archive. I administer, research and write for his official website, I handle all the playwright's social media and act as his media liaison as well as undertaking research relating to the playwright and his plays.
○ Do you take commissions / public speaking appointments / research work etc? : Yes, I take writing and public speaking commissions as well as commissioned research relating to my areas of interest. For further details, please contact me.
○ What is your relationship with the Stephen Joseph Theatre? I have been the SJT's Archivist since 2004 - a role financed by Haydonning Ltd - as well as a consultant and copywriter since 2006. I have been continuously employed by the SJT in various roles since 1999.
○ How long have you been writing professionally? I have been writing professionally since I graduated in 1999, initially as a journalist at the Scarborough Evening News. I worked there for seven years, predominantly as the Arts & Features Writer, before joining the SJT where I have been employed as a copywriter since 2006.
○ What is your favourite Ayckbourn play? There are too many to say! If I could pick one from each decade - still difficult - they would be: Standing Room Only (1960s); Just Between Ourselves (1970s); Henceforward… (1980s); Comic Potential (1990s); Private Fears in Public Places (2000s); Neighbourhood Watch (2010s); The Girl Next Door (2020s).
If you have any questions regarding my work, please write to me via the Contact Me page.